•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • Untitled Document
    Untitled Document

    Wood Mackenzie: Setting the record straight on US crude oil exports

    Wood Mackenzie

    Amidst the high volume of speculation off the back of the June 24 announcement by the US Department of Commerce concerning a private ruling for Pioneer Natural Resources Co. and Enterprise Product Partners LP, a closer look reveals that the rulings upheld the definition of what is exportable, with no material change to export policy, according to Wood Mackenzie.

    “To clarify, this ruling was not a change to the export policy as reports suggest: it was a granting of a permit,” says Harold York, Americas Downstream, Midstream & Chemicals Principal Analyst for Wood Mackenzie. “Stabilizing a liquid hydrocarbon stream is not sufficient; it must also be distilled prior to exporting.”

    In essence, the Department of Commerce appears to have ruled that the processing technologies employed by these companies meet the minimum criteria. “The ruling and actions indicate that the market is beginning to test the definitions regarding the export ban and could indicate the beginning of easing of US export restrictions, especially as it applies to lease condensates,” adds Wood Mackenzie's Americas Refining Research Manager Michael Wojciechowski.

    Wood Mackenzie's understanding is that, historically, lease condensate cannot be exported, but plant condensate, having been separated from lighter varieties such as ethane and liquid petroleum gases in a distillation column can be exported.

    “The statuary definition of distillation appears to have been questioned with this ruling and the exact determination remains unclear,” York indicates. 

    Wood Mackenzie maintains that there will not be a material change in the overall export policy, but has been advising its clients of potential incremental policy changes. Such milestones might include changes to the definitions of what can be exported, as is the case with condensates, or the expansion of countries consistent with the US’ national interest beyond Canada (e.g., including all Free Trade Agreement countries).

    Wojciechowski notes that because of the magnitude of hydrocarbon/oil and gas production and proximity to a coast, the barrels likely most affected by the recent news are those condensates produced from the Eagle Ford key play area.

    “Currently, we estimate that there are 400,000 barrels a day of condensate production in the Eagle Ford,” he comments. “Most of the production is stabilized in order to move the barrels to market, but it is unclear how much of it passes through the requisite distillation step.”

    York adds that hurdles remain, as producers, aggregators, and marketers would need to keep these barrels segregated (no comingling) and pass through an already congested Corpus Christi dock if they wanted to access international markets.

    “US petroleum export policy has been disjointed for decades, with crude oil and lease condensate exports restricted, but with export of processed molecules allowed,” York says. “Confusion around the export regulations is, in part, due to a lack of simple, consistently applied vocabulary. The key focus here is the requirement of processing prior to export.”

     

     

    Most Popular

    Related Articles

    Pioneer updates commodity derivatives schedule

    01/07/2015 Pioneer Natural Resources Co. has converted approximately 85% of its 2015 oil derivative contracts from three-way collars to fixed-price swaps. Pioneer’s 2015 fixed-price oil swaps cover 82,000 bar...

    Producing industry-ready engineers

    11/19/2014

    Industry donations make an impact on Texas Tech

    Digital H2O’s oilfield water intelligence and management platform ready for Texas

    11/18/2014

    Digital H2O has launched Water Asset Intelligence, an oilfield water market intelligence and management platform.

    Revenue up 3%, income 13% from 1Q

    11/17/2014 Revenues and net income for the group of publicly-traded US-based companies tracked by Oil & Gas Journal and Oil & Gas Financial Journal continued their upward trend in the second quarter o...

    Pioneer pursues divestment of Eagle Ford midstream business

    11/05/2014 Pioneer Natural Resources Co. is pursuing the divestment of its 50.1% share of the Eagle Ford Shale (EFS) Midstream business. Reliance Holding USA Inc. owns the remaining 49.9% of the EFS Midstream...

    Pioneer closes sale of Barnett shale assets

    09/26/2014 Pioneer Natural Resources Co. has closed the sale of its Barnett shale assets in North Texas to an undisclosed private party for cash proceeds of $155 million. The transaction has an effective date...

    More Oil & Gas Financial Articles

    Pioneer updates commodity derivatives schedule

    Wed, Jan 7, 2015

    Pioneer Natural Resources Co. has converted approximately 85% of its 2015 oil derivative contracts from three-way collars to fixed-price swaps. Pioneer’s 2015 fixed-price oil swaps cover 82,000 barrels of oil production per day at an average NYMEX price of $71.18 per barrel.

    Producing industry-ready engineers

    Wed, Nov 19, 2014

    Industry donations make an impact on Texas Tech

    Digital H2O’s oilfield water intelligence and management platform ready for Texas

    Tue, Nov 18, 2014

    Digital H2O has launched Water Asset Intelligence, an oilfield water market intelligence and management platform.

    Revenue up 3%, income 13% from 1Q

    Mon, Nov 17, 2014

    Revenues and net income for the group of publicly-traded US-based companies tracked by Oil & Gas Journal and Oil & Gas Financial Journal continued their upward trend in the second quarter of 2014.

    Pioneer pursues divestment of Eagle Ford midstream business

    Wed, Nov 5, 2014

    Pioneer Natural Resources Co. is pursuing the divestment of its 50.1% share of the Eagle Ford Shale (EFS) Midstream business. Reliance Holding USA Inc. owns the remaining 49.9% of the EFS Midstream business and also plans to pursue the divestment of its share in a joint process with Pioneer, which is the operator of the business.

    OGFJ photo of the day


    Click to view slideshow

    Oil & Gas Jobs

    Search More Job Listings >>
    Subscribe to OGFJ